Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Everything's in English - London Layover


Szia! [hello in Hungarian pronounced see-ya]

I already miss saying ‘Szia’ for hello and goodbye, ‘Köszönöm’ for thank you, ‘Bocsánat’
 for sorry/excuse me, ‘Köszönöm szépen’ for thank you so much, and ‘baszd meg’ for f*** you [I never actually said that though but it was funny to learn].

I’m sitting at a Starbucks at the Heathrow airport in London and I’m amazed at how much I keep reading all the directional signs and restaurant menus here. Everything is in English. For the past four months I have been reading signs that have different languages and maybe sometimes English. I didn’t realize how much I missed the ease at just looking at a sign and being able to understand it. The currency here in London is in pounds, which exchanges as 1 pound is about $1.50. My flight from Budapest to London was about 2.5 hours, but it felt so quick. I slept the entire time. I only got three hours of sleep last night, so as soon as I sat on the plane, I was out. I missed the food/drink service and really only woke up every 40 minutes or so and then fell right back to sleep.

There’s a one hour time change from Budapest to London, so I was confused at first about my flight time and when I landed in Atlanta, but I got things figured out. I may have confused my mom but I told her to call the British Airways flight to confirm my landing time. I think she’ll be able to figure it out. I have about 3 more hours in the airport here until my flight departs to the states. So long Europe!

I already miss a lot of things from Budapest, but it still hasn’t hit me that I won’t be back there for a while. Right now, I feel like I’m doing a little travel and in a week, I’ll be back there with all my friends. I’m really glad I have camp to go to this summer because it will take my mind off of missing Budapest. I’m going from one surreal life in Budapest to another surreal life in the middle of the woods in Pell City, Alabama!

I bought 2 apples and a banana for brunch when I got off the plane. I haven’t had a crunchy apple in so long. For a short period of time, Budapest had the crunchy Pink Lady apples and although they were expensive, I bought them because they were delicious! They stopped carrying them in markets though after about three weeks. Not really sure why. All the other apples there are mushy. I told my mom if she could bring anything to the airport when she picks me up, it would be an apple. Ha! And she said she’ll bring some cold spring water, too! I’ve been drinking lots of tap water in Budapest and I’m a little tired of it.

Can’t believe this is it. I’m off to walk around the airport to read more English signs because I can!

Special shout out and congratulations to my brother and his baseball team: Roswell Hornets! He’s a senior this year and they just won last night to go to the state championship against Milton High School! It’s funny because Roswell and Milton are only about 5 miles apart from each other – great baseball area! I’m so proud of Zach and all the accomplishments he’s had over the past four years of high school. I’m so excited I’ll be able to see him play his last few Roswell High School baseball games! Watching him do what he loves just makes me so happy.

Zach thinks I’m getting home on Saturday, so fingers crossed he isn’t reading this blog. He graduates on Thursday, so I will be surprising him for that. He thinks I’m missing his graduation… little does he know I’ll be there! [update: I surprised him tonight when I got home from the airport around 10:45pm… he was just going to bed but I ran into his room! He was shocked! It was so great to see him!]

I’m looking forward to getting my nails done and my eyebrows waxed tomorrow. It’s been a while. Need to clean up a little bit before graduation! My aunt and uncle [dad’s brother] are coming down to Georgia to see Zach’s graduation, so it’ll be nice to see them – I think we may go up to the lake for Memorial Day weekend after Zach’s grad party at my dad’s house on Friday. It should be a fun week at home until I’m moving on to my next adventure at camp – I’ll be going to camp in exactly one week [next Wednesday]. I have a lot of stuff to do before then – catch up on things and buy stuff for camp. I do not have wifi here in this airport, so this post will most likely be updated once I get home tonight. Weird that in such a short time I’ll be back in the US where everything is different and where I can no longer legally order a drink at a restaurant for another 2 weeks. ;) I think I’ll have a bit of a culture shock once I get home, and definitely post-erasmus depression – a joke we’ve all talked about here, but something I think all of us will actually experience.

‘Egészségedre’ [cheers] to an incredible semester and to the best four months of my life! Excited for what God has planned for me next, sad to be leaving such wonderful friends I made in Budapest, but happy and beyond blessed to have had this opportunity.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment